I’m back in the design contest circuit again.  Specifically, I joined a few more contests in 99Designs for the past month.  The latest contests are for logos that involve characters.  As I’m writing this, the contests are not yet over.  There are more or less two days to go for each of them.

The first is for Hunks and Fruit, a mobile smoothie bar in Miami driven by good-looking hunks, which offers exotic fruits in their blend.  Reading the brief, I immediately got excited as it seems like a bold and playful brand.  At the same time, I saw the contest as a challenge in balance as it outlined the logo to be “funny, sexy, manly and young; flirty without been tacky.” (View the contest here.)


Initial Logo Design


Alternative Entry


The client response has been great, so I’m crossing fingers for the win. More importantly, this contest somehow rekindled my interest in illustrating men since I’m usually asked to draw women in my editorial assignments.

The other is for an up and coming website, Completionaut.com, which allows its users to keep track of all the movies they have seen, books read and video games beaten. Instead of a human space explorer, I decided to create a robot companion. (View the contest here.)


Initial Entry (Click to enlarge.)


COPO: COmpletionaut Personal Otomaton, the robot companion involved a very thorough characterization, so thorough that it involved a background and visualizations how it can be used in the site.  However, the client did not require these and noted that site mechanisms are already in place.

With a few days left for the contest, I made a quick, slight revision.


Revised Logo Design


Hope this works for the client. Wish me luck!

---

View the consolidated portfolio at lawrenceantaran.com

Leave a Reply